Town Tours depart at 11.00am & 1.30pm every day, except Good Friday, Christmas Day & Boxing Day.
- Hear stories of the town’s changing history – a small group of Spanish Benedictine monks made their way north from Perth on foot to establish a mission near the banks of the Moore River in 1847.
- See Baroque, Gothic revival, Byzantine, Italian and Renaissance architectural styles rising up between the eucalyptus trees and dusty scrub.
- Visit the Abbey Church, housing one of only two large Moser organs crafted in Germany and imported to Australia in the 1920s. The church walls display a rare form of art called “sgraffito” alongside more conventional and familiar religious icons and paintings.
- Visit the old Flour Mill, dating back to 1879
- The Prindiville room houses a unique cultural display focusing on the contrast between the Indigenous owners of this ancient land and the European monks; the modules present information about skills, food sources, communication, and traditional customs.
- A Deep Space Ground station housing one of the world's largest antennae's was built near New Norcia by the European Space Agency, learn the story of why it was built here and what it does!
- St Ildephonsus’ and St Gertrude’s Colleges are striking enough from the outside but the highlight is discovering what awaits inside! With your guide, you’ll discover interiors reminiscent of what you’d expect to find in the finest chapels in Italy.
- We recommend a moderate level of fitness is required for our two hour tour along with bringing a hat, sunscreen, water and sensible walking shoes. Most of all don't forget your camera!
- For safety and professional standards reasons tour groups must consist of at least two participants. If there are less than this number the tour will be cancelled. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- During the summer season if the temperature reaches above 40 degrees the afternoon tour will be cancelled.
- There is no need to pre-book the town tour for groups of less than eight. And please note, there are no online bookings available. For groups of 8 or more, please contact us via the details below.
- The town tour does not include the monastery, as this is the monks' private residence.
Looking for a memorable experience for your family, social group or work colleagues?
Let us organise a tour and itinerary tailored to your interests and time frame at discounted rates (for groups of 15 or more).
For more information please contact the Museum & Art Gallery on 08 9654 8056 or email@example.com.