Here are some of our favourite things in New Norcia:
- Lose yourself for an hour in the Art Gallery where European religious art in the grand style, hangs alongside contemporary Australian religious art, open daily 9.30-4.30pm, closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experience a 1500 year-old tradition and join our monks in their private chapel to pray the Divine Office (six times daily).
- Visit the Abbey Church, which houses one of only two large Moser organs crafted in Germany and imported to Australia in the 1920s. The church walls display a rare form of art called “sgraffito” alongside more conventional and familiar religious icons and paintings. The Abbey Church also contains the tomb of Rosendo Salvado, the founder of New Norcia.
- Stroll up the hill to the grand New Norcia Hotel and linger over a glass of Abbey Wine or Australia’s premier Abbey Ale, exclusively on tap at New Norcia. Have a look around the Hotel and the beautiful architecture inside.
- Browse the delightfully eclectic range of products in the Museum Gift Shop. The Gift Shop offers a delightful range of locally sourced produce including our renowned New Norcia bread and an assortment of home-made preserves and honey. The Gift Shop also features an assortment of religious items and souvenirs, natural cosmetics, toiletries, wool products, art, books and music.
- Stroll to the Education Centre and marvel at the beautiful Aboriginal artwork and river mural.
- Explore the Mission Cottage and Mission Cottage Interpretation centre. Imagine what life would have been like in the early days of New Norcia.
- Go for a walk along the New Norcia Heritage Riverwalk. The trail traces the development of early settlement and starts at the New Norcia Museum & Art Gallery. It is 2km long (with an optional 1.7km long River Walk) and is suitable for all walkers.
- Or do nothing except soak up the peace of it all. Pax!
Please note, while the Abbot and monks invite you to share their art, architecture, prayer life and natural environment, the monastery residence is a restricted area and we ask that you respect their privacy.
For more information please contact the Museum & Art Gallery on (08) 9654 8056 or email email@example.com
Download Riverwalk brochure.